In the year 2018, there were about 1.49 lakh road deaths reported. Quite huge a number when it is about life. Being cautious and abiding traffic rules while driving a vehicle on the road is all about your moral responsibility. It is about saving yours as well as others life. If you fail to do so and drive carelessly, you may damage someone else’s property or hurt them. In such cases, it will be your insurance policy which will offer some help. Didn’t get that?
A Motor Insurance Policy is a kind of security that pays for the losses that happened either to you or the third-parties who suffer in an accident. Considering the rise in liability accident cases, the Government of India has made a third-party coverage mandatory.
As per the new Motor Vehicle Act 2019, the fine for the first offence of driving without insurance policy is Rs.2,000/- and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months. Earlier, this fine applicable was Rs.1,000/- and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months.
For the second time offence, if you continue to drive a vehicle without insurance policy then you will be liable to pay a fine of Rs.4,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months.
What is the process once you are caught?
If any traffic officer catches you for driving a vehicle without an insurance policy, this is what you will face:
You will have to stop your vehicle on the road-side or near the traffic policeman’s booth.
The officer will ask you to show the registration certificate of the vehicle along with your driving license. If you are able to show these papers, you will not be accused of any other offence.
For driving without an insurance policy, the officer will immediately issue you a challan. You can either pay this challan offline or online.
For offline: You may visit the nearest traffic police station in your area. Ask for the amount of pending fine you need to pay. Clear the dues and you are free.
- You may visit the state’s transport department website.
- Find a section for the payment of e-challan or traffic violation payment. Click on the link once you locate it.
- Enter the vehicle number or challan number or any other required details related to the violation and then enter the captcha code.
- Make the payment using your debit/credit card. You can also use Paytm for paying the fine online.
- You will then receive a message for confirmation of receipt.
Only then can you drive your vehicle fearlessly in the future. Failing to pay, may result in a higher fine the next time you’re caught.
ips to avoid getting fined for driving a vehicle without Insurance
Make sure you follow these tips to avoid paying heavy fines:
- Store a hard copy of all essential documents such as your license, RC, and pollution certificate in your vehicle.
- Store a soft copy of all these documents on your mobile as well.
- Make sure you do not miss the renewal of your insurance policy to avoid penalties.
- Buy the insurance policy for every vehicle before you get on the road. A third-party liability policy is mandatory because the quantum of liability involved in road accidents injuring others attract a huge payment.